- 1 pound of beef tenderloin or any tender cut of beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 10 shallots minced
- 1 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 tablespoon of canola oil
- 4 cups of cleaned trimmed watercress or Boston lettuce leaves
- 2 medium sweet onions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar + 1 teaspoon of fish sauce + 1
tablespoon of sugar
- Cut the beef into 1-inch cubes. Marinate the beef in fish
sauce, sugar, garlic, shallots, salt, black pepper and olive oil. Mix 2 teaspoons of
vinegar, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, and 1 tablespoon of sugar; then pour over the slices of
onion to make an onion pickle.
- In a skillet or non-stick frying pan heat the canola
oil. Under high heat add the meat, shake the frying pan to brown the outside of the
cubes, and fry the meat for 4-5 minutes until it's medium rare.
Season to taste
- Serve the beef on a platter of prepared watercress topped with
the pickled onions.