||Huû tieáu Myõ Tho - Special Mytho noodle soup (southern dish)
In this soup you will find pork, shrimp and quail egg in
a broth made of pork bones. As garnish, the herbs and vegetables dish will have bean
sprouts, chives, Chinese celery, lettuce, chilies pepper and limes. This dish can be
served dry with a bowl of broth served on the side.
- 2 pounds of pork bones or ribs
- 2 pounds of boneless pork loin to make roasted pork
- 1 pound medium shrimp (around 24 shrimp)
- 12 quail eggs
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 piece of ginger about 2 inches bruised
- 6 big cloves of garlic thin sliced
- 1 clove of garlic smashed
- 2 medium sweet onions or 16 shallots thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 bunch of scallions chopped
- 1/2 bunch of coriander or one cup chopped coriander leaves
- 3-4 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 bunch of chives 2-inch length cut
- 4 sticks of Chinese celery thinly cut on a diagonal
- 12 wedges of lime or lemon
- 1 pound of flat rice sticks (same kind of noodles used in beef
- 2-3 cups of shredded lettuce
- 2 red chilies julienne cut
- Soak the rice sticks in a big pot of water for 30 minutes
then drain them and set aside.
- Boil about 12 cups of water. When the water is
boiling, put pork bones in the pot with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of
sugar, ginger, and half of the sweet onion. Bring it to boil; then let it simmer for
at least one hour. Skim off the foam on the surface. Drain the broth and discard the
solids. Set aside. Season to taste.
To make roasted pork:
- Rub the pork loin with sugar, smashed garlic, fish sauce and
soy. In the skillet brushed with oil on medium heat, brown and cook the pork loin and
frequently turn the meat for about 30 minutes or longer until the pork is cooked. Let it
cool; then cut into thin slices.
- Rinse the shrimp with cold water, drain well. Season the
shrimp with a little bit of salt; then stir fry in the shells for 6 minutes. When it is
completely cool, shell and devein the shrimp, and set aside. Cook the quail eggs; then
shell them and set aside.
- Use the skillet after the pork is done to brown garlic,
scallions and shallots or sweet onion. Set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a big pot, cook the
rice sticks for 5 minutes; then drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside. Blanch the
bean sprouts and set aside.
- Put about 1 cup of noodles in a big soup bowl, on top put a
few slices of roasted pork, one quail egg, 2 cooked shrimp and 2 tablespoons of bean
sprouts. Sprinkle on top crisp fried shallots, chives, celery, lettuce and chopped
coriander. Serve the broth in a small soup bowl on the side or pour it on top of the rice
noodles. Don't use too much broth, because this dish tastes much better without too much
- This recipe can serve 10-12.