- 1 8- ounces can of lotus stems, cut in 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound of shelled, deveined shrimp rinsed and drained
- 1/4 pound of lean boneless pork
- 3 tablespoons of chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped polygonum herb (rau
râm) or 1 teaspoon of chopped coriander
plus 1 teaspoon chopped mint
- 2 teaspoon of sugar
juice of 1/2 large lime or lemon
- fish sauce dip served as dressing (see the recipe in Fresh
spring rolls page)
- Drain the lotus stems, rinse with cold water and set aside. In
a small sauce pan boil water with a pinch of salt. When the water begins to boil put the
shrimp in. Boil for 5 minutes, drain and split in half and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan boil water; then put the pork in .
Cook for 30 minutes or until it completely cooked. Drain and set aside. When it's cool,
thin slice the pork then julienne cut.
- In a large bowl, toss lotus stems, herbs, lime juice. Place
the mixture in a large plate. Garnish it with shrimp and pork, sprinkle chopped
peanuts, cilantro leaves and mint on top.
- The salad is served with fish sauce dip and shrimp crackers.