- 2 pound boneless pork butt or pork shoulder
- 6 large garlic cloves smashed and minced
- 2 tablespoons of grated or finely minced fresh lemon grass
- 6 shallots
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Oil to brush the meat
- Shredded pickled carrot
- a platter with lettuce leaves and various herbs and thin
slices of red peppers
- 1 recipe of fish sauce dip
- 1 recipe of peanut sauce dip
- Soak in cold water overnight or early in the morning 36 bamboo
- Thin slice pork against the grain (size 1-inch by
- In a mortar put garlic, lemon grass, shallots. Pound to a
paste, add fish sauce, black pepper, oil and pork. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
Take out and drain the skewers.
- Skewer the pork and flatten the meat so it will cook evenly on
the grill. Finish putting the meat through the skewers.
To cook the meat:
- You can cook under an oven broiler or charcoal broil the meat.
Cook the pork 3-4 minutes or until the meat is safely cooked.
- Brush the meat with vegetable oil to keep it moist.
- You can serve this dish as an appetizer: arrange the
skewers of meat on a round serving platter; in the middle put a bowl of fish sauce dip or
peanut sauce dip. Guests can eat the meat right off of the skewers.
- As main dish at dinner, you can serve the meat with a bowl of
cooked rice vermicelli with mixed vegetable and herbs. Pour the dipping sauce over the
top. It can also be served with cooked rice and lettuce and various herbs and sauces.