- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 pound of thin slices cooked pork fat (optional)(1)
- 2 cups chopped and smashed green onion
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 24 bamboo skewers soaked in water overnight
- Young lime leaves
(1) This pork fat is used between layers of chicken to keep the chicken moist while
grilling. You can substitute with canola oil or discard the pork fat after grilling and
before serving the chicken.
- Rinse the chicken under running cold water. Drain and dry with
paper towels. Cut chicken in pieces (1-inch by 2- inch). Marinate the meat with smashed
green onions, fish sauce, sugar and black pepper for 2 hours.
- Before grilling the meat, mix the chicken with oil. Use the
lime leaf to wrap around the pieces of chicken, skewer the meat. If you use slices of pork
fat instead of oil to moisten the meat, then wrap the chicken piece with a piece of fat
then cover it with lime leaf then put through a skewer. Continue to do that until you
finish the meat. Grill over hot charcoal. Turn frequently to cook the meat evenly while
brushing it with the marinating sauce. Cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
Discard the lime leaves before serving. To avoid high cholesterol, discard the pork fat
before serving. Serve with cooked rice and a platter of lettuce mixed with various herbs.
Serve on the side a bowl of fish sauce dip with slices of red hot pepper.