- 2 rock Cornish hens or 8 quails
- 2 tablespoons of Knorr or Maggi seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 4 large cloves of garlic smashed or crushed
- 2 medium sweet onions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of five-spice powder
- Oil to pan fry the poultry
- 1 bunch of water cress (washed and trimmed) or
- 1 head of large Boston lettuce (washed and separated)
- Quarter the chicken or split and flatten the quails.
Rinse with cold water then dry with paper towels.
- Combine Knorr or Maggi seasoning, fish sauce, sugar, honey,
black pepper, garlic, five spice powder and sliced onion. Marinate the poultry in the
seasoning sauce for 2 hours or more.
- Drain the meat and save the sauce. Heat1/2 cup of oil in
a large skillet (or non stick frying pan). Under high heat, brown the chicken pieces or
quails evenly on both sides. When the meat turns golden brown, lower the heat and cover
the frying pan. Continue to cook until the chicken is done, remove the meat, add
sliced onion to the pan, cook them until golden brown, add the marinating sauce, and boil
a few minutes until the sauce is bubbling. Arrange the chicken or the quails on a
serving platter. Pour the sauce over the top of the meat. Serve with cooked white rice and
a dish of watercress salad with an oil and vinegar dressing.