- 1 pound of lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound of peeled, deveined and minced shrimp
- 1/4 pound of crab meat (optional)
- 1 bunch of spring onions cleaned and finely chopped
- 3 or 4 ear mushrooms soaked in water then finely julienned
- 1 package (2 ounces) cellophane noodles, fast boiled in water,
drained and cut in 2 - inch lengths
- 1 large carrot finely shredded
- 1 small jicama peeled and finely chopped or
- 1 6 - ounce can of water chesnuts finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 package of small rice papers or one package of lumpia
wrappers or pastry wrappers.
Accompaniments or garnish
Vegetables and herbs platter:
- 1/2 bunch of Thai basil
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 bunch of mint
- 1 medium size cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 head of Boston lettuce or red tip lettuce leaves cleaned and
- 2or 3 red chili peppers thinly sliced and seeds removed
(See the fish sauce dip used for Spring rolls)
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- If you use the rice papers then dampen them with lukewarm
water, 3 at a time, and wait for few minutes. When they are flexible, put on the rice
paper one tablespoon of the mixture about 2 inches from the rim and start folding the
right side and the left side into the center then roll up tightly as you do with the
spring rolls in the shape of a small saugage. Put the seam down to seal.
- If you use Lumpia or pastry wrappers, you only have to defrost
them and then cut them in half; but do not dampen them with water. Then roll them as
above. Try to firmly roll the ingredients, but not too tight.
- In medium heat, deep fry them until lightly golden. Drain them
on paper towels.
- Wrap the rolls inside a leaf of lettuce that you hold in your
and fill with vegetable and herbs. Fold the lettuce leaf edges over each other
and then dip the end of your lettuce-enfolded masterpiece into the sauce. Eat in
You can serve pickled shredded carrot or pickled-sliced daikon with the rolls.
Preparation for carrot and radish pickles
- 3 medium size carrots
- 1 medium size white daikon. (Daikon is a long white radish).
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt or 2 teaspoon of fish a sauce
- 3 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- Julienne cut the carrots and daikon after washing and peeling
them. Mix all the ingredients with the carrots and daikon, and in 2 hours you can use
them to serve with the fried Imperial rolls .