- 11/2 pounds of boneless fresh ham
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup of caramelized sauce (1)
- 1/2 cup water
(1) See the recipe for this sauce in the chicken recipes page.
- Slice the pork 1/8 inch thick and cut into 1 by 2 inches in
length. Marinate the meat with sugar, black pepper, fish sauce, chopped scallions.
- Set aside for 30 minutes or longer. In a deep pan put the
marinated pork with sauce and add water. Bring to a boil, add the caramelized sauce. Lower
the heat and cover the pot. Let it simmer for 45 minutes or longer. Turn over the meat
frequently. When the sauce becomes syrupy, the cooking is done. Season to your
- Vietnamese serve this dish with white rice and pickled bean sprouts or pickled green mustard.