Gà kho sả ớt - Caramelized chicken in lemon grass and red chilies sauce
To make this dish you need the caramel sauce. This sauce
is used in many dishes so prepare a large quantity for your use later.
Nöôùc maøu -
Caramel sauce/caramel syrup
Cook 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water in a small
sauce pan over low heat and swirl the pan frequently. When the sugar turns lightly, remove
from the heat, add 1 cup of water. Carefully guard against splattering. The sauce is very
hot. Don't get burned. Wait for few minutes, return the sauce to the stove, and cook with
low heat to dissolve all the sugar.
Cool this sauce and store in a jar in the refrigerator for future use when the recipe
calls for caramel sauce.
- 2 pounds of chicken (boneless skinless breast and thigh)
- 2 tablespoons of grated fresh or frozen lemon grass
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped spring onion
- 3 tablespoons of caramel sauce
- Rinse the chicken with cold water then dry with paper towels.
Cut into small pieces 1-inch size.
- Marinate the chicken with lemon grass, sugar, fish sauce,
black pepper and red pepper flakes for 30minutes.
- Drain the chicken but reserve the sauce. In a medium frying
pan brown the chopped onion with 2 tablespoons of oil, add the marinated chicken, brown
all sides. When the meat is golden brown, add the sauce and the caramel sauce. Simmer the
meat until the sauce becomes syrupy.
- Serve the caramel chicken with cooked white rice and pickled