Sa Pamilihan ni M. Evangelista
(Used with Permission)
What are the Lessons?
Before you begin doing all the lessons, make sure you took time reading the different translation articles posted in this site. These articles will give you a a brief foundation on the theories of translation, effective strategies on translation and on the different studies made about teaching and learning translation.
The lessons are organized into different thematic units. Lessons 1 for the first semester and Lessons 2 for the second semester. Each group of lessons has a Listening and Reading tasks for students to work on during the week. You are encouraged to start from the first lessons and then go on with the succeeding lessons. The lessons progress in difficulty through the weeks.
The Listening Task
The listening task consists of a simple dialog. A prepared frequency word list and a dictionary on line will be available to aid in their transcription. You are required to do the following:
1. Listen to the dialog.
2. Transcribe the dialog.
3. Translate the dialog using both the prepared frequency and concordance as tools. If you need help with the meaning of certain words, use the dictionary or the concordance program. The Concordance Program allows you to have a concordance of a single word.
4. Post your translation in the Translation Discussion Group. Please remember to write your name and the lesson number.
The Reading Task
The reading task consists of a Intermediate reading text for you to read. Please do the following to accomplish the task for this section in the lessons:
1. Study the prepared word frequency and a concordance of the text. This will help in reading, understant and translating the text.
2. To understand the semantic meaning of a single wor, use the Concordance Program in locating the occurrences of any single word in the text.
3. From the world list of high frequency to low frequency words in the text, you are required to choose at least 10 new words to add in your personalized database of wordsthat contains the words and their translation in English and the word use in complete sentence. This is for your own personal collection. You can use any database program (e.g. word excel) of your choice. Organizing a personal database of words will help expand your vocabulary words in Tagalog.
4. To translate the text, use the Interlinear Translator and save your work in the SEASITE/Trans database. You can begin by working on a word by word translation fo the text or do a translation sentences in the smooth translation window. Make sure you click "SAVE" frequently as you work in the translator. If there are single words you are having difficulty with, you can always use the Concordance Program to find the occurence of a single word in the text and understand the word in context.
5. Use the Grammar Lessons in clarifring difficult sentence structures.
6. When you are finished with your smooth translation of the text, please do the followng:
A. save this in the server by clicking save.
B. Post your translation in the Discussion Forum. This will allow you and the others to compare translations.
The Translation Discussion Group will be an open communication line between you and the instructor. A simple translation test (a short song or poem) is included for each weekly thematic unit. This will test your knowledge of efficiently using the Word Frequency Program, the Concordance Program, the Interlinear Translator and the Tagalog Dictionary.
Back to Main Translation Page