Susan Russell's Homepage
|Department of Anthropology
|Northern Illinois University
|DeKalb, IL 60115
Phone: (815) 753-8577 Voice Mail: 753-0246
Fax: (815) 753-6302
Teaching Schedule - Fall 2012
Office Hours - Fall 2012
Th 207A Stevens Building or by appointment
- Maritime anthropology
- Economic anthropology
- Agrarian change
- Southeast Asia
- Violence and Conflict Resolution
- Russell, S.D., 1994 Institutionalizing opportunism: cheating on baby purse seiners
in Batangas Bay, Philippines. IN Anthropology and Institutional Economics, ed. James
M. Acheson, pp.87-108. Lanham, MD: Society for Economic Anthropology Monographs No. 12,
University Press of America.
- Russell, S.D. and R. Alexander, 1996 The skipper effect debate: views from a
Philippine fishery. Journal of Anthropological Research 52(4):433-460.
- Russell, S.D., 1997 Class identity, leadership style, and political culture in a
Tagalog coastal community. Pilipinas: Journal of Philippine Studies, v.28.
- Russell, S.D. and R. Alexander 1998 Measuring seining strategies and fishing success
in the Philippines. Human Organization 57(2):1-11.
- Russell, S.D. (in preparation) To Feed the People: Ritual and Economic Change in
Benguet, Philippines. (book ms.)
- Aragon, L. and S. Russell, eds. 1999 Structuralism's Transformations: Order and
Revision in Indonesian and Malaysian Societies. Tempe, AZ.: Program for
Southeast Asian Studies Press, Arizona State University.
- Aragon, L. and S. Russell. 1999 Introduction: Delineating Theoretical Approaches to
Southeast Asian Anthropology In Structuralism's Transformations: Order and Revision
in Indonesian and Malaysian Societies, ed. Lorraine Aragon and Susan Russell, Tempe,
AZ.: Program for Southeast Asian Studies Press, Arizona State University, pp. 23-63
- Russell, S.D. and R. Alexander (2000) Of beggars and thieves: customary sharing of
the catch and informal sanctions in an Open Access Fishery in the Philippines. E.
Paul Durrenberger and Thomas King, eds., State and Community in Fisheries Management:
Power, Policy, and Practice. CT: Greenwood Press, pp. 19-40.
- 2005 Mindanao: a Perspective on Youth, Inter-Ethnic Dialogue and
Conflict Resolution in the Southern Philippines. (with L. Ong, A.
Gonzalez, R. Ty, N. Madale, and N. Medina). Report for the U.S. State
Department, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Published by Northern
- 2006 Labor Discipline, Debt and Effort in a Philippine Fishing Community.
In Labor in Cross-Cultural Perspective, ed. E. Paul Durrenberger and
Judith Marti (Lanham, MD: Altamira Press).
Complete Curriculum Vita
Current Research Projects
ACCESS Philippines: Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs, U.S.
Department of State
Philippines: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S.
Department of State
Citizens & North-South Dialogue Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State
Some Interesting W3 Links
This page was last modified on