|Under Royal patronage until 1975, Wat
Xieng Thong is located close to the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers where
according to legend, two holy men with extraordinary powers placed one of four boundary
stones establishing the settlement known as Xieng Dong-Xieng Thong. In 1887, it was
the only wat to have escaped destruction by foreign aggressors because their leader had
utilized it as his headquarters.
|A magnificent example of the Luang
Prabang architectural style, the Sim was built in 1560 by King Setthathirath in memory of
Chanthaphanith whose story is illustrated in black and gold-stenciled designs inside the
building. Inside the Sim, richly decorated wooden columns support a ceiling vested
with dhammachakkas (dharma wheels). The outer walls depict the legends of Thao
Sisouthane and Thao Souttasom. The rear gable is decorated with a beautiful glass
mosaic of the tree of life, which was produced in the 1960s at the same time as several
mosaics were created in the former Royal Palace.
|Built upon the death of King Sisavong,
the Funerary Pavilion houses a royal funerary carriage with numerous naga heads carved by
the famous Lao sculptor Thit Tan, as well as a collection of religious objects. The
building is renowned for its carved and gilded wooden ornamentation, which was produced in
1962 and recounts several episodes from the Ramayana.
|The Sanctuary of the Reclining Buddha,
known more commonly as the Red Chapel, is renowned for the exquisite glass mosaics on the exterior walls which were created
in 1957 to commemorate the 2500th anniversary of the Buddha's birth. The scenes
recount the story of Sieo Sawath, a hero from classical literature who was famous for his
Laos. Wat Xieng Thong