Wat Mai
Believed to have been originally built in 1796, the wat is located at the foot of the sacred hill known as Phou Si.  After Wat Visun was destroyed along with many other wats during invasions in 1887, Wat Mai became the home of the Pra Bang image from 1894 until 1947.  In 1968, a spectacular gilded stucco facade depicting Pra Vet Sandorn from the Vessantara Jataka, the legend of one of the last reincarnations of the Buddha, was created.  During the annual New Year Festival, the Pra Bang image is enshrined in the courtyard for three days for visitors to asperse in a religious ceremony of purification.


SEAsite Laos | Language | Folklore | Art & Culture | History | Literature | Links | Other Topics | Overview

Gallery | SEAsite

2002 SEAsite Laos.  Wat Mai