Wat Aham
The present Sim at Wat Aham was built in 1818 in classic Luang Prabang style on the site of a wat first constructed in 1527.  The original wat was constructed on the former site of the Devata Luang shrine, which was demolished upon King Phothisarath's edict to ban the worship of spirits.   Two Ramayana inspired figures positioned on either side of the front steps guard the Sim.  A shrine dedicated to the Devata Luang, Phou Nheu and Nha Nheu, is located nearby and contains their ritual wooden masks and horsehair costumes, which come to life during the annual new year celebrations.


SEAsite Laos | Language | Folklore | Art & Culture | History | Literature | Links | Other Topics | Overview

Gallery | SEAsite

2002 SEAsite Laos.  Wat Aham