The Luang Prabang Museum
Situated in the former residence of King Sisavang Vong, the Luang Prabang Museum is a significant historical and cultural site containing an extensive collection of local cultural objects.  Built between 1904 and 1909, both French and Lao architectural elements have been integrated in the structure.  Prior to its official public opening in March 1976, extensive interior decorations including glass mosaics depicting legends and scenes of cultural and historical interest were undertaken when the Throne Hall was refurbished between 1970 and 1975.  The sacred Pra Bang image of the Buddha is currently enshrined in the Pra Bang Room.  Other interesting cultural and historic artifacts can be found throughout the Museum including numerous Buddha images, antiques, the throne, and various objects of art.  As the center of historical and cultural research in Luang Prabang, ongoing efforts are being undertaken to restore and increase the collection of artifacts, as well as maintain the integrity of the original workmanship and materials of the structure itself.


SEAsite Laos | Language | Folklore | Art & Culture | History | Literature | Links | Other Topics | Overview

Gallery | SEAsite

2002 SEAsite Laos.  The Luang Prabang Museum