IN EACH LESSON
Each lesson is comprised of four sections. Romanized standard Malay spelling has been used.
Dialogue This section will provide you with a short conversation to
practice and memorize.
Vocabulary This section will provide word lists and definition of the words in the dialogue and related words.
Grammar This section will explain the nuts and bolts of Pattani, as well as explain any new patterns introduced in the dialogue.
Exercises This section will offer exercises to both check comprehension as well as offer further substitution and matching drills.
A NOTE ON PRONUNCIATION
The language is mainly composed to two syllable words, with the accent on the first syllable.
Changes from Kuala Lumpur Malay to Pattani Malay
1. Words ending in an, -ang, -am, change to ae * pronounced eh or ā
a. makan makae (to eat)
b. abang abae (older brother)
c. dalam dalae (in, inside of)
2. Final a becomes o ada ado (to have)
Final ah becomes oh rumah rumoh (a house)
Final ak becomes o anak ano (child)
3. Final s becomes h tikus tikuh (mouse)
4. Final k, p, and t stops become glottals
a. katak kato (frog)
b. hisap isa (inhale, smoke)
jahat jaha (evil)
5. Final l or r is omitted
a. seluar selua (outside)
b. basikal basika (bicycle)
6. Final ai, au becomes a
a. sungai sunga (river)
b. pulau pula (island)
c. kedai keda (small eating stall)
d. pandai pana (clever)
e. gulai gula (curry)
7. Final n or m is often nasalized to ng
a. sayin saying (friend)
b. kelmarin kemagheng (yesterday)
8. Initial and middle r becomes gh
a. mari maghi (to come)
9. h is often put in from of words beginning with a vowel in Kuala Lumpur Malay, and vice versa, h is often omitted in words where Kuala Lumpur Malay has it
a. hidup ido (life)
b. hisap isa ( inhale, smoke)
10. j is softened to y or dy
a. anjing anying (dog)
11. Omission of letters in consonant clusters
a. mp omits m tempat tepat (place)
b. nt omits n pintu pitu (door)
c. ngk omits ng angkat aka (lift)
12. Muting of letters in consonant clusters
a. d is muted in nd mandi mani (to bathe)
b. b is muted in mb lembu lemu (cow)
c. g is muted in ngg tinggal tinga (to reside)