Programming in Java
Code Examples, Resources, Notes, etc.
This course has TWO sources of materials:
Assignment 0: Preparation. (No need for submission)
Assignment 1: - Line class improvement
Assignment 2: - A console application
Assignment 3: - A Swing applet
Assignment 4: - A standalone GUI application
Assignment 5: - A client using networking programming
Assignment 6: - A network and JDBC program
Java Site - root site. (Will redirect to the Java site in Oracle.)
Java SE 6 and 7 download - direct link to download the J2SE version and documentation.
Java Tutorials - practical guides for using Java programming language
Code Examples and Exercises
1. Sample program illustrating the Line class - with Exercises.
2. Sample program illustrating custom Exception class
3. Layout Manager Examples (using awt)
4. Hello World for Swing (JApplet)
5. JList Basics
6. JTable Basics
7. Sample program illustrating a Shapes class hierarchy - with Self-Study Exercises. Look at this after inheritance and polymorphism have been discussed in class.
8. DataShadowing and Polymorphism test program
9a. Simple Animation Program - using Swing. Draws from run(). Source code.
9b. Simple Animation Program - executable
10a. Simple Animation Program - using awt and repaint() from a run() loop. Source code.
10b. Simple Animation Program Demo - executable.
11. MediaTracker Demonstration illustrating error detection, with source code.
12. Client / Server Programs
1. Java Coding and Documentation Style Guidelines - read these several times during the semester
2. Formatting Numeric Strings
3. The Java Listener Interfaces and their Methods
4. Java Object Serialization - the basics
5. JDBC Notes - the basics of JDBC and how to run a JDBC program on turing.cs.niu.edu using the mysql database system
6. Applet Security and Appletviewer
7. Three articles on Interfaces, polymorphism, etc. Read the first two for background and the third for insights
- "Thanks Type and Gentle Class":
- "Reveal the magic behind subtype polymorphism":
- "Maximize flexibility with interfaces and abstract classes":
- Another "take" on interfaces vs. inheritance
Additional JDBC Stuff
Connecting to a Microsoft Access Database - just for your information
www.javaworld.com - a Webzine about Java with reviews, articles, tutorials, etc. Has search engine. Good source of info for graduate reports.
Cafe Au Lait - Java News, opinions, tutorials, book reviews, etc. by Elliotte Rusty Harold. Good. Updated daily.
Power Point OOP (IE only; just an experiment in PowerPoint)
HTML Topic Tutorials - excellent step-by-step tutorials (with viewable examples at each step) for adding Frames and Tables to your Web pages.